Accommodation and activities to do with kids in George on the Garden Route of South Africa
Growing up in a small town, but still being young I wanted to start working in a small but lively town with loads of free things to do. My parents had a holiday home in Heroldsbay near George so we used to spend our holidays here. I moved there after my internship not realising that every day would be a holiday. Victoria Bay (Vic Bay) and Herolds bay are only about 15 minutes drive with Wilderness soon to follow after the Kaaimans river crossing. Knysna and Plettenberg Bay are about an hour drive from George and the Tsitsikamma an easy day trip.
George is such a lovely town, catering for tourists from all over South Africa. There was never a dull moment in terms of finding fun.
Herewith some holiday entertainment ideas and things to do together with your kids in George Garden Route
- Free things to do in George is discussed in one of my previous posts- see the link below.
- Although my activities back then included adventure sport, climbing, surfing and paddling, I recently discovered the Redberry Farm. It is the perfect day out with your family as it includes outdoor entertainment for the kids and fresh air for adults. A little electric train ride through the berry fields, harvesting berries and a horse ride are some of the activities that you will find on the farm. They also have amazing berry juices and milkshakes from the coffee shop. Kids can have fun on the jungle gyms and visit the farms animals.
- If you have not taken a trip up the Outeniqua mountains with the power van- be sure to book in advance. As every year that I have returned to George as a tourist, I was not able to get a seat during the December holidays. It involves a scenic ride up the mountain to the old reservoir, where you can get off and have a picnic. The views are magnificent and thus it is the perfect Summer holiday activity.
- The local library and museum are indoor activities worth doing.
- Ster Kinekor at the Garden Route mall
- Panarottis Gardenroute Mall has a lovely indoor play area and kids entertainment, as well as child minding.
- Mount View Tourist Resort and Happy Valley are two Play parks in the area for the little ones.
For recent events and more blogs please scroll down and enjoy George with your family and friends!