Old Paarl Road, Strawberries, Lion Park and Eaglevlei
Family Friendly, Things to do with your kids on the Old Paarl Road
I hereby officially rebrand Old Paarl Road between Stellenbosch and Paarl as the...wait for it... the "Family Thoroughfare"!
Not only does this road host the Giraffe House, Drakenstein Lion Park, and Chimp haven, it is also only a stone throw away from Butterfly World. Eaglevlei is en route and if you want to make a wine tour of it, you can visit Simonsvlei and the Strawberry King to round your trip. There are so much more to explore for family activities in Paarl.
Although this is probably too much to do in a day, you can pick from the list and always return again another weekend. Since it is still spring I would suggest:
Things to do with kids on a rainy day - Old Paarl Road
- Butterfly world- if you are going there to see the butterflies it is best you do so on a winter or spring day, or really early on a summer's day as it can get extremely humid in there.
- It is rugby world cup season and Eaglevlei hosts a rugby sports park where the dads (moms) and older kids can watch the rugby while the younger ones play their hearts out. They offer a colossal outdoor play area and secure indoor play area with child minding.
- On your way home you can stop at the Strawberry King. Although they do not offer strawberry picking, they sell strawberries in 500gram and in bulk sizes as well as soft serve.
- Find more places near Cape Town and family activities.
Outdoor activities on old Paarl Road aka Family Thoroughfare :)
- We visited the Chimp Haven shortly after the Tygerberg Zoo closed and it wasn't a great experience to be honest. The animals were in distress and the Chimps were extremely hostile and aggressive. It scared both myself and my little ones. hopefully by now they have acclimatized - please consider the animals when you go there. Don't tease them and respect their boundaries. It is a privilege to be able to view these animals so keep on supporting them and the people who go out of their way to take care of them.
- Lion Park
- Giraffe House (Remember to take cash for entry fees)
- Simonsvlei and Eat@Simonsvlei
- Afrikaans Taal Monument is on your left on your way into Paarl, up the mountain. Perfect for picnics.
- Laborie- as you follow Old Paarl Road into Paarl, (where the R101 becomes R45) you will find Laborie Wines on your left.
Read more about our last trip to Le Bonheur Crocodile Farm & Restaurant in Paarl.