Best places to hike during lock-down level 3
Check out the CapeNature Website for more information on all the hiking trails mentioned. Please note that the trails are open, but for the moment no gatherings, events or parties are allowed. When making a booking via the CapeNature website, same day bookings should be made before 10 am. You can make future bookings after 10 am.
Please note: All information was correct on the publishing date, please visit the CapeNature Website for the latest updates.
Western Cape Overberg
De Hoop Nature Reserve (Overberg)
There is the Potberg trail, which is a 10 km linear hike that takes about 4 hours to complete. The total capacity for the reserve is 50 and you can go to the CapeNature website to check availability and make an online booking. There is also a beach walk available, which has a total capacity of 70 allowed. Again, you can check on the CapeNature website, or permits are available at the De Hoop Collection Entrance.
De Mond Nature Reserve (Overberg Coastal region)
Trails you can walk include:
- Sterna, this is an easy 7 km circular walk that should take about 3 hours to complete. Check the CapeNature Website online for more information. Capacity for this trail is 50.
- De Mond to Arniston, this is a unidirectional coastal walk and takes about 4 hours to complete. Capacity for this trail is 50, visit the website.
You can also go fishing at the reserve, the capacity is 50 and you can go to their website to find out more information about this activity.
Walker Bay Nature Reserve (Hermanus, Cape Overberg)
There is a lovely beach walk you can take, which has a capacity of 100 people. Check the CapeNature Website.
Kogelberg Nature Reserve (Kleinmond, Cape Overberg)
There are three trails open, remember to visit the CapeNature website for more information.
- Palmiet River walk: Capacity of 40
- Mountain Bike Trail: Capacity of 30
- Oudebosch to Leopard’s Gorge: Start at Kogelberg entrance only. Capacity of 30.
Rooisand Nature Reserve (Kleinmond)
There is a bird watching vlei area with a walking trail available. The capacity is 40.
Marloth Nature Reserve (Swellendam, Cape Overberg)
There are four relatively easy trails here:
- Duivelsbos Trail: This is a short 1.1 km trail with a small capacity of 10.
- Koloniesbos Trail: 4 km trail with a capacity of 10.
- Die Plaat Trail: A longer 10.5 km trail with a capacity of 10. (There are shorter routes available).
- Wamakersbos Trail: 10 km trail with a capacity of 10.
Grootvadersbosch Nature Reserve (Cape Overberg)
Three hiking trails available:
- Grysbok Trail: 15 km with shorter loops available at a capacity of 15
- Bushbuck Trail: 10 km with shorter loops available at a capacity of 15
- Cycle Route: 6 km at a capacity of 10
Western Cape Garden Route
Robberg Nature Reserve (Garden Route)
The Robberg Nature Reserve has three trails open:
- The Gap Circuit: this is a short 2.1 km trail that should take you about 30 minutes to complete. The capacity here is 40.
- Witsand Circuit: this is a bit longer trail at 5.5 km and takes about 2 hours to complete. Capacity is 40.
- Point Circuit: a 9.2 km trail, which takes about 4 hours to complete and has a capacity of 40.
Outeniqua Nature Reserve (Garden Route)
There are two walks available to enjoy:
- Pass-toPass hiking trail: a quite easy 4.7 km trail that takes about 3 hours to complete. The capacity is 30.
- Kouma Trail: this is a 2-3-hour hike, with a capacity of 30.
Keurbooms Nature Reserve (Garden Route)
Walk activity available with a capacity of 100 people.
Goukamma Nature Reserve (Knysna, Garden Route)
Four beautiful hiking trails all with a capacity of 15
- Blombos Trail: This is a medium circular 13 km trail, a short circular trail that is 6.5 km and a long circular trail at 15 km.
- Galjoen Trail: 12 km trail
- Cape Clawless Otter Trail: 6.5 km trail
- Buffalo Bay Trail: 4.2 km trail
Swartberg Nature Reserve (Garden Route)
There are three hiking trails within the reserve.
- Gamkaskloof – Koningsgat Trail: 1.4 km route with a capacity of 30
- Ou Tol Circle Trail: 7.4 km trail with a capacity of 20
- Platberg Circle Trail: 8.4 km tral with a capacity of 20
Western Cape Winelands
Limietberg Nature Reserve (Paarl)
Three trails available, all with a capacity of 50.
- Bobbejaansrivier: this is a moderate 8 km trail that takes about 6 hours to complete.
- Happy Valley: Easy 9 km trail as well as a family trail of 6 km.
- Rockhopper: Moderate/difficult linear trail of 8 km that will take about 6 hours to complete.
Cederberg Nature Reserve
Three trails are open as follows:
- Skeurkrans: this is a circular hike taking about 4-6 hours to complete with a capacity of 50.
- Wolfberg Arch: a 7-8-hour hike that will take you out and then back to the starting point. The starting point is located on private land, so a permit is available from Dwarsrivier. Capacity is 50.
- Maltese Cross: 3 hour out and back trail with a capacity of 50. Permit also available at Dwarsrivier.
Vrolijkheid Nature Reserve (Robertson, Breede River Valley)
Here you will find two hiking trails:
- Rooikat Trail: 19 km trail with a capacity of 20
- Heron Trail: Easier 3 km trail with a capacity of 20. Note: the bird hide is closed until further notice.
Gamkaberg Nature Reserve (Oudtshoorn)
There are 4 trails available at this reserve, each with a capacity of 10:
- Guarrie Trail: an easy 7 km trail
- Spekboom Trail: extremely easy 1.3 trail
- Mousebird Trail: also, an easy 2.5 km trail
- Pied Barbet Trail: 4.1 km trail